Dewalt DW715 Compound Mitre Saw
Regardless of if you are a newcomer or an expert, when it comes to woodcutting or construction, you would have heard of a mitre saw. A mitre saw is a type of bench and stationary machine that features either a single or double bevel design that lets the user cut materials on an angle, making it the perfect tool to create angle joints or decorative pieces.
What Is A Compound Mitre Saw?
While it may be confusing to determine the difference between a regular mitre saw and a compound mitre saw, we have broken it down to make the definition less confusing:
Where a mitre saw moves to at last 45 degrees both left and right, a compound mitres saw has the ability to move laterally and also rotate horizontally. This makes it the better saw for intricate cuts. A compound mitre saw can be set to achieve and maintain precise and repeatable angles.
What To Look For When Buying A Compound Mitre Saw?
With more and more people jumping on the bandwagon of home DIY, companies are recognising the demand for mitre saws of any kind, but especially compound mitre saws as they are referred to as the middle ground.
With the overwhelming choice of saws that are out there, it is easy to get lost in the chaos and choose a mitre saw that doesn't contain all the features that you need. Here is a list of important points to consider when shopping for a compound mitre saw:
- Maximum angles - This is often a feature that gets forgotten but it is important to consider what angles your mitre saw can cut and if this scale is wide enough for your project. The greater the saw's maximum angle, the more versatile the performance.
- Blades - Most if not all mitre saws allow you to change the blade as they do wear out and become blunt after a while. If you are a professional and this isn't the first mitre saw you have brought, then you may already have a variety of blades at hand and this may not be something you need to look into much. However, if you are a beginner and do not have a mixture of blades to hand then you will need to look and see what type of blade comes with the saw,
- Size - The thicker the size of the blade determines the depth of your cut.
- Teeth - The teeth per inch (TPI) plays a big art on the finish of your cut. The more teeth the blade has, the smoother the cut will be.
- Materials - Just like any other part of a tool, the better the material that the blade is made out of, the longer the blade will last.
- Dust extraction - An important safety feature to consider. The dust extraction will prevent sawdust from getting into your eyes, nose, mouth etc. Sawdust itself is a dangerous hazard which is why most mitre saws will come with a dust collection bag, make sure yours does.
- The build and finish - As compound mitre saws are often an investment, you want to look for something that is long-lasting and will not break after the first use. We recommend you reading reviews or going to a shop that sells the saw you are looking for and see first hand how well built the saw is and if it has been manufactured using heavy-duty materials.
Why Buy The This Saw?
This particular compound mitre saw has been well received by its consumers, and for good reason. The saw has obvious compound angle indents and the saw itself securely locks at these angles, allowing you to maintain a good finish repeatedly. This accuracy is helped by an easily interchangeable blade system that allows users to change the blade easily as and when they wish. Although saying that, the blade that automatically comes with the model isn't necessarily bad and does also offer an accurate finish.
Even though this module is a single bevel saw, meaning that the saw head only swings to the left. The accuracy and cut of the saw makes it seem like a double bevel standard saw. This is also aided by the build of the saw. It's based is sturdy and heavy meaning that the saw doesn't move when in use offering extra stability for accuracy. This could also be helped by buying one of Dewalt's stands which many reviews recommend for easier use.
How Reliable Is The Brand?
Dewalt is a well establish and widely known tool manufacturing company. There are very few home DIY goers or contracted professionals that won't have a Dewalt product in their arson. Their tools are designed and produced to give their consumers the most reliable performance possible. Made from highly durable materials, Dewalt isn't known to cut corners which is why their tools are so well renowned for producing such high-quality results.
Are There Any Common Issues With The Product?
This model comes in three different types which are not clearly indicated on the websites that you buy from. This has caused some complications and some confusion for customers.
The type three of this product no longer supports the LED laser light which is a key feature for accuracy on any power tool so it is a big let down that an unexplained third type of this product does not support this feature.
Should I Buy This Product?
This is definitely a more professional buy, especially if you pick the correct model type. It is almost expected that you change out the blade instead of using the default one which shows how this model is targeted towards more experience and equipped persons.