The Best Pole Hedge Trimmer Reviews & Buying Guide
Investing in a pole hedge trimmer can help you avoid the hefty costs of hiring a professional to do the same job. Pole hedge trimmers allow you to access those hard to reach places around your garden easily and keep your garden looking tidy.
Pole hedge trimmer devices do tend to differ in terms of; power, extended reach, adjustable cutting heads and cutting capacity, so you must buy one of the best pole hedge trimmer models on the market.
To make it easier for you, we have put together a list of the best pole hedge trimmer models out there and compared them to find the best long reach hedge trimmer for your garden.
Our Top Pole Trimmer –
The Bosch 06008B3070 Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer (Editor’s Choice)
Bosch is very well-known in the garden power tool industry for creating some durable products.
This pole hedge trimmer, in particular, features an 18V lithium-ion battery that can support the trimmer run time for up to 2 1/2 hours, the battery-powered hedge trimmer further has an adjustable cutting height which can reach up to 2.6m when fully extended.
The blade length of this long reach hedge trimmer comes in at 430mm and it has a stroke length of 2200 RPM. An anti-block system is also included with the Bosch trimmer. Total weight of the hedge trimmer comes in at 3.6kg and its batteries can be used with other Bosch tools.
Overall, this Bosch cordless telescopic pole trimmer is one of the best cordless models on our list for reaching tall hedges and allows for continuous work thanks to its lightweight which helps avoid fatigue and anti-block system.
The battery of this hedge trimmer is also said to charge very quickly.
Downfalls of the Bosch cordless pole hedge trimmer have to be cutting head which might not be strong enough to cut thick branches, some users have also reported the battery-powered hedge trimmer to fail after short term use.
- Durable design with 2.6m cutting capacity.
- 2 1/2 hour running time.
- Stroke length/speed of 2200 RPM.
- Anti-blocking system.
- Batteries are compatible with other Bosch tools.
- Weak cutting head.
- Some durability issues.
Our Budget Choice – Yard Force 20V Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
This Yard Force cordless hedge trimmer is one of the most affordable pole hedge trimmers on our list. The trimmer features a 20V lithium-ion battery which can be charged in 60 minutes, it also has a telescopic pole which can be fully extended to 256cm.
In terms of cutting, the pole hedge trimmer has a pivoting head which can be adjusted in ten positions and put into angles ranging from 0-135 degrees. Its hedge cutter has a length of 41cm and a 14mm tooth gap.
Design-wise the Yard Force extendable hedge trimmer is created ergonomically with a soft grip handle and lightweight of 3.8kg. The model is further cordless and has a dual-action steel blade to cut tall and wide hedges.
The Yard Force cordless hedge trimmer is great value for money and easy to use for beginner gardeners thanks to its ergonomic design and telescopic pole.
Its design is also reported to be very easy to assemble and lightweight when in use.
Drawbacks of this extendable hedge trimmer are its lack of a shoulder strap which is said to be essential for using a tool like this, its build-quality has also been reported to lack in places such as its safety switch position and dust cover.
- Very affordable.
- The telescopic pole can be extended to 256cm.
- The cutting head is adjustable in ten positions.
- Ergonomic design.
- Adjustable handle.
- Dual-action steel blade.
- Lack of shoulder strap.
- Poor quality design placements of switches.
VonHaus Pole Hedge Trimmer
The VonHaus cordless hedge trimmers model features a 20V battery which can be charged in one hour and has a run time of 50 minutes.
Main specifications of this extendable hedge trimmer are 45cm dual-action blades on its trimmer and fully extended telescopic pole which has a measurement of 2.44m. The trimmer of this model can cuts branches up to 14mm thick and has a multi-angle adjustable cutting head of 45-90 degrees.
Other notable features of this extendable hedge trimmer are its lightweight of 3.78kg and soft-grip handle with a shoulder strap. The hedge trimmer has a two-stage safety trigger too and a hand protector.
A 2 year warranty is further included with trimmer for buyers confidence.
To conclude, this VonHaus telescopic hedge trimmer is an excellent hedge trimmer to consider buying if you are on a budget. It has great accessories included such as its shoulder strap and is very safe and easy to use thanks to its two-stage trigger and hand protector.
Some downfalls of the long reach hedge trimmer have to be its weight which is reported to very heavy and tiring when cutting a hedge, its battery has also been reported to fail after some usage.
- Quick charging time.
- 45 cm hedge cutter blade.
- Adjustable head for different positions cutting.
- Telescopic pole extends to 2.44m.
- Soft grips handle with shoulder strap.
- Safety features included.
- 2 year warranty.
- The battery is said to fail after use.
Ryobi ONE+ 18V OPT1845 Pole Hedge Trimmer
The Ryobi one+ cordless long reach hedge trimmer features an additional 18V battery which is brought separately and has a removable extension shaft of up to 2.9m.
Significant specifications of this cordless hedge trimmer are its 45cm diamond ground blades and 115-degree pivoting head which can be adjusted in 4 different positions. The pole hedge trimmers blade can cut branches within a 18mm blade gap.
In terms of designing this long reach hedge trimmer arrives with a shoulder strap and blade sheath, it also weighs 5.6kg.
This Ryobi telescopic hedge trimmer is overall a very durable model which would seem to withhold long term use and handle denser branches than most other long reach hedge trimmers can.
Its battery is further reported to last for a long time when cutting smaller branches.
Negatives of the Ryobi electric hedge trimmer are it’s lack of battery which will increase the price of the hedge trimmer, its weight is also much heavier than other long reach hedge trimmers, meaning it might not be able to be used for long periods without resting.
- Cordless with a pole length of 2.9m.
- 45cm diamond ground blades.
- Pivoting head is adjustable.
- Comes with shoulder strap and blade sheath.
- Can cut branches with an 18mm blade gap.
- Lack of battery included which will raise the price.
- Very heavyweight.
Gracious Gardens 18V Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmer
The Gracious Gardens electric pole hedge trimmer arrives with an 18V motor and a lithium-ion battery which can be upgraded to two, the single battery has a 45-minute run time and can be charged in 3-5 hours.
Main features of this electric pole hedge trimmer are its extendable pole which can be extended up to 2.4m and can cut branches up to 14mm in thickness. The best cordless hedge trimmer also has a 120-degree pivoting head which can be adjusted in 5 positions and a hardened steel blade of 45cm.
Safety-wise the cordless battery-powered hedge trimmer includes a 2-stage safety trigger and weighs under 3.5kg. The trimmer shoulder harness strap included also makes the heavy-duty tool more comfortable to use and has a two-year warranty for buyers protection.
This Gracious Gardens heavy-duty pole trimmer is great value for money and can help avoid back problems when cutting a far away hedge thanks to its telescopic pole. Its battery-powered system is additionally said to be very strong.
Drawbacks of the pole trimmers model are its poor build-quality which is said to break down easily, this could be due to its lower price, however.
- Extending pole of up to 2.4m.
- Cutting thickness of up to 14mm.
- 120 degree pivoting head with 5 positions.
- 2 stage safety trigger.
- Shoulder harness.
- 2-year warranty.
- Poor build quality.
Our Verdict – Which Is The Best Pole Hedge Trimmer?
To round up our hedge trimmer reviews, the best telescopic hedge trimmer on our list has to be the Bosch 06008B3070 Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer due to its reliable build and powerful trimmer which can help reach long tree branches and be used without interruption thanks to its anti-block system and lightweight.
We also recommend this long reach hedge trimmers model because of its anti-blocking system which helps the trimmer to be used continuously.
As a more affordable runner up, we would additionally suggest the Yard Force 20V Hedge Trimmer. This best long reach hedge trimmer is very powerful for its price and tackle even thicker branches than most average long reach hedge trimmers can.
The only reason we placed this Yard Force model second is due to its design which has awkward switch placements.
What To Look For In The Best Long Reach Pole Hedge Trimmer (Our Buying Guide)
After comparing the best long reach hedge trimmers on the market, its a great idea to familiarise yourself with everything you need to know about them, such as the essential features needed in the best model.
You also might be wondering how a trimmer could benefit you with tall hedges, and how the electric trimmers match up to petrol trimmers.
We have put together an extensive buying guide below to answer all your questions before purchasing your best pole hedge trimmer.
What Is a Pole Trimmer?
A pole hedge trimmer is essentially a normal hedge trimmer attached to a pole. This telescopic pole allows you to get to hard to reach places thanks to its easy to use extension and soft grips which is often adjustable.
These trimmers further tend to have adjustable cutting head positions and angles to cut the top of your hedges in any style you want. These cutting heads are often powered by long battery life or by petrol depending on the system you buy.
Best Features To Consider In a Pole Hedge Trimmer
There are many important features to view in your hedge trimmer, from weight to power and extension length, it’s essential you consider how powerful you need your trimmer to be and how much workload you will be doing at once to make sure you get the correct battery life.
We have put together a list of the key features to watch out for in your best pole hedge trimmer below.
- Motor/battery power – It’s essential you make sure to buy the right amount of motor power and battery life for your trimmer to cut hedges, if your planning to be cutting large and more powerful branches then you likely need a model which is more robust, however, a larger battery will increase the price of your trimmer and its weight.
- Cutting head – The cutting head of your trimmer should be adjustable at angles and heights for the best garden maintenance. It best to look for a heavy-duty pivoting head which has lots of adjustabilities.
- Blade – Best trimmers come with a dual hardened steel blade, however, some come with a diamond ground blade too for extra quality are wider, making them easier to use and quicker. On average it’s best to look for a blade length of around 45cm and over for cutting hedges.
- Extension length – Its important you make sure the pole of your trimmer is long enough to reach the hedges and branches you want, you should also make certain this can be supported well by the trimmer telescopic handle.
- Design – The design of your trimmer should be comfortable to use, with ergonomic elements such as a soft-grip handle and easy to use switches.
- Weight – In terms of weight, your trimmer should ideally not weigh more than 3-3.5 kg, if its heavier than this, then it will be harder to use in hard to reach places, as holding the trimmer up will become tiring after short periods of use.
- Cordless or corded – Ideally, it’s best to look for a cordless model as this will give you more flexibility and portability while using your trimmer as your not restricted by a cord.
- Safety features – It’s essential your trimmer has some safety features such as a two-stage trigger and hand protector. This prevents the machine from being accidentally started.
- Warranty – As with all power tools, your trimmer should come with at least a one-two year warranty to ensure you are protected against any faulty models.
Benefits Of Using a Pole Hedge Trimmer
Apart from the obvious extension, pole trimmers have a lot of advantages than when compared to normal hedge trimmers and can save you a lot of money than getting a professional to cut your far away hedges.
We have listed out some of the benefits below –
- Extended reach – One of the main advantages of a pole hedge trimmer is its extension, this long pole allows to you to cut hedges in areas you normally would not be able to reach, allowing you to have a tidier garden without straining your back.
- Easy to use – Pole hedge trimmers are relatively easy to function once you get a hang of the balance and power, and when used with a shoulder strap, you should also find the machine quite stable to use.
- Allows for accuracy – Different cutting angles and heads allow for much more accuracy when trimming your hedges rather than a standard trimmer which has a fixed angle.
- Saves money – Using your extendable pole trimmer saves more money than getting a professional to do the same job and can last you for many years if you buy a high-quality model.
- Can be used for tree pruning – Most of these blade made trimmers with a large blade length can be used for small-sized tree pruning and not just cutting hedges.
- Affordable – These pole hedge trimmers are quite affordable and allow you to have decent battery power for a fairly small price.
Petrol Vs Electric Power For Your Trimmer
In our reviews above, you have likely noticed most of the best trimmers we have reviewed are electrical ones, however, you might have also come across petrol models when doing your research.
Both of these trimmers have their advantages and disadvantages for cutting hedges, so we have compared both petrol long reach hedge trimmers and electric trimmers below to help your figure out which power is right for you.
Electric Hedge Trimmers
Electric trimmer models tend to operate via a lithium-ion battery and are usually, nowadays, cordless for safer and more portable use.
These type of trimmers are great for domestic garden use and can help to maintain your garden easily thanks to their lightweight and long-life batteries, making them suitable even for elderly people with back issues. They also tend to require less maintenance than petrol models and are more environmentally friendly for cutting hedges.
Negatives of these types of trimmers have to be their power which isn’t as a good as long reach petrol trimmers and might not be able to cut large types of branches. Corded models can also be a little dangerous.
For professional use you would ideally have to get back up batteries for continuous hedge trimming, otherwise, you could be waiting hours for them to re-charge again.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Easy to use.
- Little maintenance needed.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Corded models can be dangerous.
- Waiting time for re-charge.
- May not be as powerful.
Petrol Hedge Trimmers
Petrol hedge trimmers operate via fuel, not batteries, and are great for heavy-duty tasks and bigger branches. They can also be used continuously with no need to re-charge, making them best suited for professional hedge trimmers.
These models do tend to last longer in terms of durability than electric models also due to their design.
Some drawbacks of these petrol-powered models would have to be that they are not very environmentally friendly, they can also be a little bit heavy and much more expensive due to the added power.
- More power for bigger hedges.
- No need for a recharge.
- More durable.
- Suitable for professional use.
- Not environmentally friendly.
Overall, for standard garden maintenance and domestic use, a cordless electric powered trimmer will probably be perfect for your needs and not too expensive. As long as you buy a model with a good blade made from steel and a decent battery capacity, it should be great for cutting hedges in faraway places.
However, if you want to do hedges professionally and need more power, or want to avoid re-charging all the time, then a more expensive petrol trimmer might be worth investing in.
What makes a trimmer more comfortable to use?
Some specifications to look for in a trimmer are an ergonomic telescopic handle and lightweight, you should also ensure the trimmer has adjustability to make it easier to use.
What’s the best battery power for one of these tools?
The best battery power for these trimmers is normally 18V or 20V, however, if you get a higher-powered model this can also be great. It’s good to double-check the recharge time and run time of your model’s battery too so as you can cut hedges without power interruption.
Can I prune trees with a trimmer?
Yes for small branches you can use most hedge trimmers for pruning, however, for larger branches you might want to try and use a pole saw instead as this has more cutting power.
What kind of extension length should I be looking for?
You should be looking for an extended length ranging from 2-3 metres so as you can reach far away hedges easily. The further your model extends then the pricier it will probably be, you should also make sure it has a shoulder strap to help with weight distribution.
What blade size and make should I look for on my trimmer?
You should ideally look for a steel blade or diamond ground blade that has a width of at least 45cm or more.
Our #1 Pole Hedge Trimmer For KeepingYour Hedges Tidy
Our number one trimmer is the Bosch 06008B3070 Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer thanks to its durable design and variety of features included, such as its anti-blocking system and lightweight.
As a second option, we also suggested the Yard Force 20V Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer because of its high power and low price which makes the trimmer great value for money and allows it to be used for tougher work.