Best Compound Mitre Saws - Our Top 5 Reviewed
Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Compound Mitre Saw Is The Bosch Professional BITURBO Cordless Sliding Mitre Saw!
[amazon box="B07WTH5WW2" ]
A compound mitre saw is a one of a kind power tool you need to have in your shed if you're into DIY woodworking or work with wood on a professional level.
These compound mitre saws offer their ability to use their circular mounted blades to create quick crosscuts in the material by simply pushing down the mitre saws blade.
If you were wondering why they are called mitre saws, this is because of their base that can be rotated left and right so as you can make angled cuts in. your pieces of wood.
With so many best mitering saw models on the market, it can be challenging to determine which is the best for you woodworking, so we have put together and reviewed some of the top compound mitre saw models out there to find a winner.
Our Favourite Compound Mitre Saw! -
The Bosch Professional 0601B41000 Circular GCM 18 V-216 Cordless Sliding Mitre
Bosch professional has been creating relilable tools for many years. This compound mitre saw, in particular, has an 18V battery-powered system which can be switched out with other bosch batteries of the same power.
[aawp fields="B07WTH5WW2" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="1"]
Feature-wise the compound mitre saw has a speed of 4600 rpm and can make angled cuts of up to 70mm in depth.
It's sliding compound blade has a diameter of 216mm and comes with angled mitre settings of either 47 degrees right or left for making bevel cuts.
[aawp fields="B07WTH5WW2" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="2"]
Design-wise the Bosch mitre saw has an ergonomic finish with a lightweight and uses an LED light with a laser for better sliding cuts.
The model additionally comes with a 45 degree vertical and horizontal cutting capacity and has total measurements of 52 x 77 x 63 cm.
[aawp fields="B07WTH5WW2" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="3"]
Overall, this mitre saw is perfect if you are looking to take your woodworking to a professional level and need a relilable miter saw to get you started.
[aawp fields="B07WTH5WW2" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="4"]
Its large blades and sliding mechanism allow you to make very accurate and quick cuts in your wood at any angle.
Some negatives of the model have to be its high price, but this probably due to the outstanding quality of the power tool. The model is additionally reported to come without a dust collection option.
[aawp fields="B07WTH5WW2" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="5"]
- 18V batteries which are compatible with any other Bosch batteries.
- 4,600 rpm for quick cuts.
- Cutting capacity of 70mm.
- 216mm miter saw blade.
- 47-degree mitre angle for bevel cuts.
- LED light and laser for better cutting accuracy.
[aawp fields="B07WTH5WW2" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="6"]
- Comes without dust collection feature.
- Expensive due to high quality.
[aawp fields="B07WTH5WW2" value="button"]
The Product Below May Be Currently Unavailable,
Our recommended alternative is The Evolution Power Tools R210CMS Compound Mitre Saw!
[amazon box="B01N96ODO0" ]
Our Affordable Alternative - Evolution Power Tools R255SMS+ Compound Saw
Now, if you are on a budget but want a highly rated model its worth considering this miter saw by Evolution.
[aawp fields="B07BRPWJVZ" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="1"]
Main features of the miter saw are its 2000W power and 28 teeth carbide-tipped TCT blade which can cut aluminium, wood, plastic and more.
The compund miter saw also comes with 0-45 degrees single bevel and 50-50 miter settings, along with its 300mm slide and quick release clamps.
[aawp fields="B07BRPWJVZ" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="2"]
Extra specifications of this sliding compound miter are its; dust port and dust bag, integrated carry handles, slide rail protector and 3m power cable.
This sliding compound miter model additionally comes with a three-year warranty for increased buyers confidence.
[aawp fields="B07BRPWJVZ" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="3"]
To sum up, this Evolution sliding miter model truly is one of the best miter saws on our list due to its affordable price and high powered features.
[aawp fields="B07BRPWJVZ" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="4"]
It has excellent portability and is very smooth to use thanks to its 28 teeth blade and 300mm sliding features.
Some downfalls of this Evolution compund miter saw have to be its laser line which is said to be very poorly lit and can produce inaccurate cuts.
[aawp fields="B07BRPWJVZ" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="5"]
- 2000W power with 28 teeth blade.
- 0-45 degree bevel cut.
- 50-50 miter angle.
- Quick-release clamp.
- Very affordable.
[aawp fields="B07BRPWJVZ" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="6"]
- Poorly lit laser line which can reduce accuracy when cutting.
[aawp fields="B07BRPWJVZ" value="button"]
The Product Below May Be Currently Unavailable,
Our recommended alternative is The DEWALT DWS780-GB Compound Slide Mitre Saw!
[amazon box="B005K82FYQ" ]
Dewalt DWS774-GB Slide Mitre Saw
This Dewalt sliding mitre saw features a corded design and has a 1400 watt motor which can give a speed of up to 6,300 rpm.
[aawp fields="B01AYHBMTG" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="1"]
Main specifications of this miter saw are its XPS cross alignment system which illuminates your woodwork while making a cross-cut. The mitre saw also has a maximum cutting depth of 70mm.
The mitre system of the model can be stopped at angles ranging up to 50 degrees and has fixed left and right fences for better accuracy, along with its internal rail design which allows you to cut more extensive materials.
Other notable features of this mitre saw are its dust extraction system, 2-metre cord, blade spanner, clamp and headlock function.
This Dewalt miter saw is excellent value for money and very powerful too, making it one of the best sliding mitre saw models on our list.
Its design has a very high speed for making quick and accurate cuts while its XPS cross-system allows you to have a better view, thanks to it's LED lighting system.
Some negatives of this sliding miter saw have to be its overall build quality which is reported to be too small and not good enough for heavy-duty carpeting work. The design is additionally corded, which restricts portability.
- High motor power and speed for making quick cuts.
- Cutting depth of 70mm.
- Fixed left and right fences.
- Mitre angle ranges up to 59 degrees for making bevel cuts.
- Low price means poor quality which may not be suitable for cutting heavy-duty wood pieces.
- Corded design restricts movement.
[aawp fields="B01AYHBMTG" value="button"]
Makita LS1018L 240 V 10-inch Slide Compound Mitre Saw
The Makita sliding compound miter saw comes with a 110V or 240V power and is corded. It 1430W motor can deliver a speed of up to 4,300 rpm.
[aawp fields="B0047QD3CA" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="1"]
Best features of this compound miter saw are its 260mm blade and 60-40 degree mitre angle range. Its maximum bevel range is from 45 degrees left and right, and it has a linear ball bearing system for accurate cuts.
Design-wise the Makita mitre saw comes in an ergonomic finish with a D handle and has a large aluminium base for supported cutting.
[aawp fields="B0047QD3CA" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="2"]
Other notable specifications of this mitre saw are its see-through blade guard which allows for a better cut and its dust bag. There is additionally a laser to help keep your cuts aligned.
[aawp fields="B0047QD3CA" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="3"]
This Makita branded mitre saw has excellent quality and can help provide a clean cut to your woodwork thanks to its sliding compound blade and linear ball bearing system which allows improved precision.
[aawp fields="B0047QD3CA" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="4"]
Negatives of this mitre saw have to be its heavyweight and overall accuracy which is reported to be low; this may mean you will need to adjust the laser upon purchase.
[aawp fields="B0047QD3CA" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="5"]
- Linear ball bearing system.
- Laser and ergonomic design.
- 60-40 degree mitre angle range.
- High power and speed for quick cuts.
- Adjustable rear hand bevel lock.
[aawp fields="B0047QD3CA" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="6"]
- Very heavyweight.
- The laser is said to be very inaccurate.
[aawp fields="B0047QD3CA" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="7"]
[aawp fields="B0047QD3CA" value="button"]
Einhell Cordless Drag Crosscut and Mitre Saw
The Einhell cordless mitre saw comes without a battery and charger included and features a high-quality carbide-tipped saw blade.
[aawp fields="B07XLMV312" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="1"]
This cordless drag compound miter saw comes with an X-tend workpiece that can be adjusted with one hand easily and has a clamping system plus turntable for angular cuts.
It's saw head can be adjusted up to 45 degrees for miter cuts, and it has a cutting line laser guide and LED light for more accurate cutting performance.
[aawp fields="B07XLMV312" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="2"]
Furthermore, the model can be used with any of Einhell's PXC rechargeable batteries and has a sawdust bag for collecting dust from the model.
Overall, this compound miter saw is very affordable and has an excellent smooth drag function for accuracy on all kinds of woodworking jobs.
[aawp fields="B07XLMV312" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="3"]
Its laser guide is additionally handy for getting a precise cut on more delicate projects.
Downfalls of this compound miter saws model have to be that it comes without its battery and charger, which is another cost to consider. The tool's weight is also said to get very heavy once the batteries are added.
[aawp fields="B07XLMV312" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="4"]
- Adjustable X-tend workpiece.
- Carbide tipped saw blade.
- A 45-degree turning point for miter cuts.
- Laser guide and LED light included for better accuracy.
[aawp fields="B07XLMV312" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="5"]
- No battery or charger included, which will be an extra price to consider.
[aawp fields="B07XLMV312" value="thumb" image_size="large" image="6"]
[aawp fields="B07XLMV312" value="button"]
Our Verdict - Which Is The Top Compound Mitre Saw?
Overall, to conclude our reviews, the top mitre saw sliding model has to be the Bosch Professional 0601B41000 Circular GCM 18 V-216 Cordless Sliding Mitre.
This Bosch miter saw has a high-quality build and fast cutting speed of 4600 rpm, allowing you to make fast angled miter cuts quickly and accurately.
Its design is also the best on our list thanks to its large mitre saws blade and LED lighting system which can help make larger and quicker cuts.
As a more affordable alternative, we would also suggest the Evolution Power Tools R255SMS+ Compound Saw due to its 2000W motor and 28 teeth blade which is great for beginner saw users who want a miter saw for there small woodworking projects.
What To Look For In The Top Miter Sliding Compound Saw (Buying Guide)
Now, there are many features you need to consider in a miter saw sliding model, from cutting depth to the mitre angle.
There is also a difference between sliding miter saw or non-sliding miter saws that you should be aware of.
We have put together an extensive buying guide below to help you out.
What Is a Sliding Compound Miter Saw?
With many different types of miter saws on the market, it's a good idea to know the difference between all three main types.
A sliding compound miter saw is a standard mitre saw which can move back and forth on guide rails.
Types Of Mitre Saws
Standard Mitre Saw
A standard mitre saw can only make cross cuts or miter cuts and can cut at an angle of either 45 degrees or 90 degrees along with your piece of wood.
They tend to be very lightweight and can come either cordless or corded, with corded being the most common model, prices of this miter saw tend to be very affordable.
- Low in price.
- Variety of models on the market.
- Can make fast and relilable cuts.
- Not portable.
- Very bulky.
- Less accurate and versatile cuts in comparison to other miter saws.
Compound Mitre Saw
Compound miter saws can make single bevel cuts or double bevel cuts depending on the model you buy. A double bevel model allows you to make two cuts each side without having to flip the board around.
The compound miter saw models can make standard miter cuts too.
- Allow you to make two types of cuts.
- Can be used for a variety of delicate work.
- Not as good for heavy-duty work.
Sliding Compound Miter Saw
As we mentioned above, a sliding compound miter saw is the same as a standard and compound model but is instead attached to a sliding track which allows you to cut through more material.
You can also cut bevel angles and use the blade to make all styles of cuts.
- Sliding ability.
- Can cut larger material.
- All in one model.
- Can be bulky.
- Very expensive.
Best Feature To Consider In a Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Cordless or corded - There's a mix of cordless or corded sliding models on the market. If you are looking to move around your miter saw in the workshop often then it might be best to go for a cordless model. However, for stationary work, it's better to go with a corded model, these mitre saws often have more power too.
- Battery power & motor power - If your model is cordless then you need to consider how powerful its battery packs are and its charging time, you should check your models motor power to determine how it will cut heavy-duty materials.
- Cut speed - A model with a powerful motor can have a cutting speed of anything from 4000 rpm to 6000 rpm, this is important as it will determine how fast and accurate you can cut your wood.
- Blade size - Your blade size should be either 8/10/12 inches, the bigger your blade then, the wider of a cut it can make.
- Miter angle - The mitre angle range of your model will determine what mitre cut it can make either side at different degrees, for most models this 45 and 90 degrees.
- Bevel cut angle - Having a bevel cutting range is very useful if you want to a cut your woodwork at a variety of angles, make sure your best tool has this feature within the coverage you want.
- Laser guide - A laser guide is a useful accessory that can help you be more precise when you cut with a sliding blade; its line will make sure you know exactly where to push down the saw, giving consistent results.
- Extra features - You should consider some additional features on your mitre saws model such as an LED light and double bevel option which allows you to speed up your cutting time.
- Warranty - For a power tool like this, it must have at least a one-year warranty or more to make sure you are protected against any faulty model or parts.
Benefits Of Using Sliding Compound Mitre Saws
Choosing a sliding mitre saw has many benefits you may not have considered, they can save you alot of time and are very easy to use.
We have listed out the benefits of using one of these power tools below -
- Saves time - The automatic blade of these models allows you to slice through the material easily and make cuts quickly due to their larger blade sizes.
- Allows you to make a variety of cuts - You can make broad cuts and crosscuts with different angles; unlike other tools, this can be great for making wooden frames or DIY projects.
- Better accuracy - Locking angles, LED light and laser guides making cutting on your best saw very accurate, allowing you to have a more professional finish to your woodwork.
- Easy to use - The sliding models can be used by a beginner with ease, once you know the basics of how to work a sliding saw like this- it can only get easier.
- Cuts wide materials - This type of mitre saw can cut wide slabs of wood with ease, allowing you to get work done quicker and avoid being limited in size like other miter saws.
How To Use a Mitre Saw
Making a sliding cut with your sliding compound miter saw is very simple once you get the hang on of it.
They are also much quicker to use than standard models.
We have listed out some simple steps below to help you make a sliding cut with your compund miter saws model.
- Firstly put your board against the fence and clamp it.
- Pull the saw towards yourself until it is over the board's edge, do not turn on the saws blade until you do this.
- Start the trigger and wait till your saws blade reaches full speed, then pull the blade down onto your material.
- Push the saw away from you while it cuts the material.
- Once finished, pull the saw up and let go of the trigger to stop the machine.
Tips & Tricks
There are a couple of tips and tricks to consider when using your mitre saw, from safety tips to tricks to make your cutting better.
We have put together our best ones that will make you a professional in no time.
- Keep your power tool away from water - This one may be obvious, but you should avoid using your device around wet areas for reasons such as electrical shock.
- Wear goggles - When using a tool like this, it's essential to keep your eyes protected from any escaping dust as this can irritate your eyes and potentially cause harm.
- Make sure your blade guard is secure - Always double check your blade guard is closed before starting the power tool.
- Avoid loose clothing - When using a rotating blade like this, you want to make sure you are not wearing any loose clothing or jewellery that could get caught up in the device.
- Clean the lower guard - Cleaning the lower guard can help with visibility while using your sliding compound miter.
- Always unplug your machine after use - After using your compound miter saws model, you should turn it off entirely from the socket.
Now we have covered the essential safety tips there are some other excellent tips you can you use to get the most efficent use out of your mitre saw.
- Use a saw stand - You will need to use your miter saw on a table no matter what, when in a workplace where you want to move around its a great idea to look for a portable table.
- Try cutting with a laser - Some models come with a laser guide, if not then it's worth buying one and fitting it with your model, this makes cutting much quicker as all you have to do is align your saws blade with the laser line.
- Let the blade reach full speed - Before cutting you should let your blade get to its maximum top speed to avoid it getting stuck or hiccuping when you try to cut your wood. Same goes for when you have finished cutting. It would help if you let your blade come to a standstill before trying to move it.
- Change your saws blade - If you want to have a better cut, then get a better blade, its no use having a good sliding compound miter model with a rubbish blade.
- Use an auxiliary fence - An auxiliary fence can prevent small pieces of wood falling back on to the blade and causing a dangerous fly-off.
- Clamp small pieces - Clamp the little bit of wood you are trying to cut to your auxiliary fence, this will help you avoid using your hands near the blade and help the accuracy of the cut you are making on your sliding compound miter saw model.
How To Maintain Your Best Sliding Saw
If your old sliding compound miter saw is starting to perform poorly or you want to know what kind of maintenance you should be keeping up with, we have put together our best maintenance tips to help you out below -
- Clean the dust extraction system - Now and then it's a good idea to clean your sliding compound miter saws dust collection. You can do this by cleaning the interior of the hose and the entry point in your machine to prevent it from getting clogged up and malfunctioning.
- Sharpen your saw blade - If your saws blade is starting to give a poor cutting performance, you should try sharpening it. Just remove the blade from the switched-off sliding compound miter saw, clean it with a cloth, apply sharpening oil and then sharpen each edge of the saw with a sander.
- Inspect your saws blade - Double-check your saws blade every three months to make sure there is no damage, this will help you replace your blade when the time is right and avoid any damage to the rest of the machine.
- Oil & lubricate - You can oil the parts of your best sliding saws model by disassembling it and cleaning the joints of each component. After cleaning then apply lubricant oil from a cloth in small circular motions to help maintain your power tool.
What are the best features to look for on a best sliding saws model?
The main features to consider in the best model are; blade size, power, speed and overall build quality.
Is there a difference between table saws and mitre saws?
Yes, although you can use both models for the same tasks, they differ in how they operate. Table saws don't need a larger blade to make a wider cut, and they cut longer strokes than a mitre saw.
Mitre saws offer much more accuracy and can help you cut small sharp angles in material unlike a table saw.
How much do these tools typically cost?
These tools can cost anything from around £150-£800 and above depending on what you model includes, its power and brand.
High powered models with larger blades will always tend to cost more.
Is a sliding compound model better than other mitre saw types?
Yes, a sliding model offers much more versatility and allows you to cut faster than other mitre saw types. However, all mitre saws can perform angled mitre cuts.
Do I need a double bevel model?
A double bevel model is useful if you want to be able to cut both left and right sides of your wood at the same time without having to flip the material over. This can speed up your cutting time.
Can I cut other materials than wood with my model?
You can cut soft metal with your mitre saw and even tubing plastic, for example.
What is a chop saws model?
A chop saw is very similar to a mitre saw but can only be used for making crosscuts, not angled miter cuts.
Should I buy a mitre saw if I already have a circular saw?
Circulars saws perform a different job to mitre saws and will struggle with accuracy and angles in comparison to a mitre saw, so its best to have both if you want to make more precise cuts in your woodwork.
What is a bevel cut?
A bevel cut is an angled cut made through the width of a board. This cut is not perpendicular to the top of the wood like a mitre saw.
Our #1 Top Compound Mitre Saw
Our number one compund mitre saw is the Bosch Professional 0601B41000 Circular GCM 18 V-216 Cordless Sliding Mitre Saw.
This model features everything you need in a relilable mitre saw and can perform broad cutting strokes to help you get accurate and quick cuts in your woodwork, no matter the bevel or miter angle.
As an affordable option, we also suggested the Evolution Power Tools R255SMS+ Compound Saw due to its high power and low price which makes it excellent value for money, especially if you are a beginner DIY enthusiast.
- 1 Best Compound Mitre Saws - Our Top 5 Reviewed
- 1.1 Our Favourite Compound Mitre Saw! -
- 1.2 The Bosch Professional 0601B41000 Circular GCM 18 V-216 Cordless Sliding Mitre
- 1.3 What To Look For In The Top Miter Sliding Compound Saw (Buying Guide)
- 1.4 What Is a Sliding Compound Miter Saw?
- 1.5 Types Of Mitre Saws
- 1.6 Best Feature To Consider In a Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- 1.7 Benefits Of Using Sliding Compound Mitre Saws
- 1.8 How To Use a Mitre Saw
- 1.9 How To Maintain Your Best Sliding Saw
- 1.10 FAQs
- 1.11 Our #1 Top Compound Mitre Saw